Grades 4 through 8 are a time of profound transformation for children, with rapid physical and emotional changes. Much of the role of the school nurse is to provide education and support around health related issues during this crucial period of development.
Communication about your child’s health is vital to supporting him or her here in school. As adolescents strive for greater independence, they often need even more supervision as they begin to make choices that influence their health and well being. Please contact me with any concerns or updates about your child’s health, or if your child has any special health needs. I can be reached by phone at #439-2572 or by e-mail at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Our goal here at Shapleigh is to keep all of our students as safe and healthy as possible, supporting them in reaching their highest educational potential. I look forward to partnering with you in the pursuit of this important goal!
Some points of interest in school health:
- Vision & Hearing screenings are performed on all 5th and 7th graders, and on any other student by parent or teacher request.
- All students have their height, weight, and BMI (Body Mass Index) calculated each year. This information is kept in each student’s health record and is available by request.
- Sports physicals are a requirement for all students participating in school athletics. This is called a pre-participation sports screening and must be on file in the student’s health record.
- If you are providing a sports physical from the doctor's office, please check the date the physical was performed. The physical date must cover the participating sport season. The easiest way to accomplish this is to schedule an annual physical exam during the summer months to cover the full "sports calendar" season.
- Physical exams completed in the doctor's office may be faxed to Shapleigh School. The Shapleigh School fax number is 207-439-9958. Students will need to have a physical on file to compete.
- Fall sports physicals are offered here at Shapleigh at the beginning of the school year (and fall sports season!) for a fee of $5.00. A signed permission form and a filled out medical information form must be turned before These are performed by Kittery Family Practice Staff. All sports physicals will cover the student’s sports participation requirement for 1 year.
- As of September 2007, all students will be required to have documentation of their varicella (chicken pox) status on file in their school health record. (Updates of all immunizations are valuable information for students’ School Health Records.)
- Human Growth and Development is integrated into the curriculum in grades 5 through 8.
The above information is only an overview of some of the many facets of school health. Please click on the links to learn more about school health policies and procedures and other valuable health information for your child.
Yours in health,
Shapleigh School Nurse